Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sea Shell


I wrote this new song called "Sea Shell." I wrote it while I was walking with my 8 month old daughter, Amelia, on Long Beach in Oak Island, NC. Staring at the tide ebbing in I thought about the sea shells and how un-special they are, all things considered. Many and most lie dirty, stuck in the sand as wave after wave and tide after tide takes control of helpless them. Caught between the ocean and the dry land, they lay devoid of any specialty or notice ... unless of course, someone picks one of the shells up, washes it off, and claims it as their own, showing off the shell that once was ugly and stuck nowhere, just how beautiful it has become.

In my walk with Christ at that moment, I felt like a sea shell. I felt stuck. I felt like I was simply shifting with the high and low tides of the world instead of the thankful knowledge that I have been saved from being stuck in worldliness by the risen son, Jesus Christ who took me up and made me new. 

I hope you enjoy "Sea Shell." Here are the lyrics:

Sea Shell
By: Justin Ahlgrim

Find me. Find me out.
And take me from this ground.
Wash me.Wash me clean.
Renew me for I have been

Like a sea shell stuck in sand
I'm longing for dry land
But this shore won't let me go

And every shell's enslaved to the tide
And every man's enslaved inside
Unless a man comes it takes it out
Unless Jesus saves me Himself

No comments:

Blog Archive