Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Walking With Jesus: Just Because You Experience God's Presence, Doesn't Mean You Have Faith in Him

Walking With Jesus: A Study Through Mark
What follows is what I feel Jesus is teaching me as I read through the Gospel of Mark


Just Because You Experience God's Presence, Doesn't Mean You Have Faith in Him 
"A fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up shouting, "TEACHER, DON'T YOU CARE THAT WE'RE GOING TO DROWN?! When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves 'Silence! Be still!' Suddenly the wind stopped and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, 'Why are you afraid? do you still have no faith?" (Mark 4:37-40)


The disciples had seen Jesus cast out demons, heal the sick, and perform an amazing amount of miracles. And yet here, in the midst of a storm, they think that God has forsaken them, as if Jesus was a curse like Jonah, instead of a blessing. They had the presence of Jesus Christ with them, the Son of God Himself, and still they were faithless. 

It's almost as though, even though they experienced God's presence, it didn't mean they had faith in Him


it's a reminder to me, that a student can go through 7 years of youth ministry but still not trust in Christ as their Saviour.
It's a reminder to me, that people can have a "conversion experience" and yet fall away, like a prodigal son, forgetting the power that is found in the Father.
It's a reminder to me to test myself to see if i'm living according to the faith.       


faith is a funny thing. trusting and having confidence in Jesus. Even the best Christians can fail at it. "lose" faith. fall out of faith. get discouraged. 


and yet to Jesus, there's nothing more important than our confidence and faith in Him - "without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him (Hebrews 11:6). 

And also to Jesus, there's nothing more powerful than our confidence and faith in Him. it still makes me wonder, when Jesus uses the idiom: "if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." (Mt 17:20)


there's something about faith, even though its so fickle, that is so important. by faith the people of God acted through God's powerful and might and divine plan in amazing ways. and without faith, people of God failed in many ways. people of God denied Him (Peter), betrayed him (Judas), refused to believe Him (many disciples hearing the Great Commission), or believe in His sovereignty (disciples on the boat in Mark 4)


Even if we have God's presence.
If we have the Holy Spirit even inside of us.
Even if we go the church every Sunday, and a small group, and read our Bible and pray before meals, and listen to sermons, and are involved in a church ministry

Even with all that we can still be faithless in God. Trusting Him with nothing longer than our arms' length. 
And as a result, Christ will be able to do, only minimal work through us.
And as a result, we will seek to do only minimal work through and for Him.

I remember my Youth Ministry professor once said, "There are plenty of youth ministries out there that are doing just fine without the Holy Spirit"

I don't want to be one of those youth ministries.
I don't want to be one of those people
that can exist without faith in God.






Father,


I don't want to be faithless. plant in me an imperishable seed of faith that will not die. help me. help me Lord to come to you for help. to turn to you before i turn to myself or other idols. help me to rely on you. trust in you. have confidence in you. take power through you. i don't want to just live with you. i want to live like you. 


Increase my faith. may the knowledge that you are God and you are good be ever-present with me. May I not mistake your presence for my faith, but help me to continue entrusting parts of my life to you, piece by piece, until you have all of me together, in the palm of your hand.


Amen.







No comments:

Blog Archive